Thursday, September 30, 2010

The great rain.

 Crops from in the late spring!
Raised beds...gifts from the gods!!!
Who knew or could have imaged that it had come to this? Yesterday was a hell of a thunder-boomer!! Where were Lane and I....out at the coop checking on the flock, Chanticleer, and last but far from least, Steve. Of course they were fine. The coop is a fine piece of farm architecture as is the Sugar Shack. Both were dry inside and offered tons of shelter. Things were as they should be. At the risk of sounding sappy,it really felt good. You've read all those feel-good articles about how there's a connection with the land when you grow your food and care for livestock..... yourself. That is true. It is not the only way, but it is very true. I grew up on this farm in a different time, but certain things have not changed. The smell of spring, the swelter of summer, the color of autumn, the quiet of winter, and the stars. I used to be barefoot almost all summer long. I still will take off my shoes in late spring until early summer to walk in the yard. My father is a farmer's son and I am a farmer's daughter....it's in my DNA. This feels very natural to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment